Tuesday, October 02, 2007

CANADIAN WORKPLACE
I know I have posted before regarding Canada's weak labor laws. I am just curious if anyone else who has came to Canada has experienced something like this. I am trying very hard to lose faith in the system here but sometimes I really wonder.
My wife works with a "government" contracted employer. She was on break the other day and having a conversation with a fellow employee. Apparently the guy was carrying his wife's cell phone which happened to be pink. He acted like he was ashamed to be carrying it and she asked him why. His response--I don't want anyone to think I am a "faggot". Yes this happened at the workplace. She was totally shocked. Now yes she works in a male environment but there are women who work there too but there is no excuse for using this type of language at work.
I am 40 years old and never in my life in the U.S. have I heard this word at work. And she was there for 16 years and she has never heard this. For most parts of the country it would not be tolerated. I am not sure if it just Ontario or the metropolitan area we live in but hope that all of this place is not like that. The workplace protections are simply not comparable. And this is not the first time an incident like this has happened. Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences like this.

1 comment:

Toma said...

We can only enlighten them one at a time! Keep the faith!