Wednesday, March 21, 2007

THE JOY OF TAX TIME

After doing some research, I have found that I will just have to file single in the good ol' USA. Apparently your spouse has to have a SSN or TIN number to put them on the form and all the info you need to try to get one of those. It's not worth it for our situation. For 2005, I didn't file just out of principal however this year I have read that I can purhaps be proscecuted if I don't. So now I will have to file two this year. Of course I will have to file single when in fact I am actually married. But then again we could talk about this forever. Just another one of the pitfalls of being binational I guess. I will be filing the foreign exclusion so they will not be getting any tax anyway but I am one that believes strongly in the whole principal of the thing. It's too bad the U.S. gov't does not.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You'd better check further. MY Canadian husband I filed jointly and he didn't have an ITIN number yet. They will issue you this or you must fill in the form to get this information.

Of course they want you to file because they want to know what you are doing and where!

CAY said...

The difference in your situation is that you have a "husband" not a same-sex spouse. My spouse cannot get a ITIN as she is female. Even though we are legally married in Canada I still have to file single for income tax purposes.