Wednesday, March 07, 2007

It's been a long time without any posts. We recently went on two trips---well two seperate trips. First we both went to Turkey. I have never been out of North America so it was very different. I had a good time. We went to visit my spouse's mom and she was able to come back with us. We are hoping to keep her here with us.
When we got home, I got a call from my brother that my mom was very ill. I had to make an emergency trip to the U.S. as my mom was put on life support.
Unfortunately this trip I had to make alone. This is the tough part about being an exile as if my mom had not made it (luckily she got better before I left) I would have had to deal with that alone without her. I had not seen her in almost 6 years. She has progressive dementia but she was able to recognize me at least once as she told me she loved me and that was worth everything. But my spouse will probably never be able to see her before she leaves this earth. That is the sad part of this situation. I wish the politicians could feel this anguish just once and then they would truely know how we feel and all of the other couples just like us.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I am so sorry about your situation. We are going to keep fighting to change the law here.